Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Treasure Test

A couple of nights ago, at caregroup, my pastor talked about where our hope lies. He discussed counting all things as loss in order to gain Christ (Philippians 3:7-8). One thing that stood out to me, was his challenging question of what is my treasure. If (fill-in-the-blank) did not happen in my life or work out, how would I react? There are many things I hope will happen in my life, but there is a tendency in me, and I wager other Christians, to put my hope in those good things. I've seen how i react when God denies me things (it's never pretty) and it reveals how much of my heart is wrapped up in those things. It's so subtle, and sometimes I don't see how subtle. Which is why I need to ask myself this question: "Will I be ok, if (fill-in-the-blank) Does Not happen?". Can I truly say, "All I have is Christ?". It's a question that reveals my treasure, what am I hoping in and looking towards. It's ok to want good things, and we should pray about them, it is when you feel like you will be unhappy and unsatisfied if you don't get those things, that it becomes idolatrous.

I want to echo Paul, and sincerely be satisfied in Christ alone, I want to be able to say with Job when everything was stripped from him: "Though he slay me, I will hope in him (Job 13:15).

So ask yourself this question, test your heart. If the things you want in life will never happen, how will you react? Anger, frustration and resentment or peace and contentment? How you react to the loss of things (or potential loss of things) is indicative of where your treasure lies. Are you coveting that which won't last, or resting in the sufficiency of the savior?



Location:E Elford St,Greenville,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment