Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Book Review: "The Greener Grass Conspiracy" by Stephen Alltroge

I must admit I have been anxiously anticipating the release of this book ever since it's author first mentioned it. I only know Stephen Alltroge through his immensely encouraging and incredibly hilarious tweets and blog posts--so when I received his book in the mail, to say I was stoked would be a big understatement.

Alltroge's book is not the reflections of a contentment master, but the "sweaty, bloody, hastily scribbled notes from a battlefield,"(p. 14) as he puts it so adequately. What the book lacks in length, it makes up for in substance and biblical reflection. As I read each chapter, I felt like I was being pierced on every side: Stephen slowly unveiled idols in my heart and uncovered the truth behind the lies that I so easily believe regarding what would make for a better life. While quick on the humor, he does not mince words. He is direct about what scripture teaches and serious about the dangers of the discontented heart.

In particular, he describes it as a sin that kills joy, leads to hardness of heart, and tells the world that God is a liar and untrustworthy.

God really spoke to me through this book but I also thought about how this will really serve so many other people. The battle for contentment is one of the biggest spiritual struggles in my own life. I hardly think that I am unique. And if you are reading this review, there is a good chance that you too are familiar with discontentment.

Alltroge does a terrific job of uncovering many of the nuances of this deceitful sin, and caused me to realize how discontentment often lies beneath other sins that we struggle with: lust, envy, ambition, lying, pride, and so on. Alltroge also provides a lot of practical guidance through the application questions provided at the end of the chapter. As a result, I think that the book lends itself well to being discussed in a group setting. In fact, I would go so far as to place this book at the top of my shortlist for small group reading. (I am seriously considering donating copies to my own church.)

Stephen shows himself to be a true gospel-centered pastor, continually pointing the reader back to the cross, and the person of Jesus Christ. If you are looking for practical and engaging insight in the fight for contentment, then I highly recommend Stephen Alltroge's "The Greener Grass Conspiracy." If you think you can trust my judgment, get this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment