Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Better Country

"But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city" (Hebrews 11:16)

This past Sunday my pastor preached on the topic of heaven. It started me thinking about being heavenly-minded, or in my case the lack thereof. I am very much obsessed with the future of a better country, but not the one that the heros of the faith in Hebrews 11 were looking for. I find myself seeing the job I want or marriage as the the "better country." Both very good things to think about but should not be made the end or goal of my life. The constant thinking about and looking towards this reveals much idolatry in my heart. I forget that God, the one who should be sending me to hell, has promised me a better place with a much better inhabitant. Himself. If you're a christian, God is preparing a place for you personally, imperishable and everlasting. We were not created for this world or anything in it but for the one who created us. So, what is your "Better Country"? what are you looking to, where are your eyes gazing? As we spend the little time we have here, let's adopt the mindset of those in Hebrews who were looking to the one who would truly satisfy there souls.


Soon and very soon i'll be going
to the place he has prepared for me
There my sin erased
my shame forgotten
soon and very soon

I will be with the one I love
With unveiled face I'll see him
there my soul
will be satisfied
soon and very soon

No comments:

Post a Comment