Thursday, August 5, 2010

Do you pray when you read?

Does thinking about God lead you to talking to him? I was extremely convicted today by a quote from John Owen:


When we undertake thoughts and meditations of God, his excellencies, his properties, his glory, his majesty, his love, his goodness, let it be done in a way of speaking unto God, in a deep humiliation...in a way of prayer and praise -- speaking unto God

When I was at the NEXT 2010 conference, the speakers talked about the importance of theology and how right thinking ought to leads to a right response. However, my experience has proved to me how easy it is to leave right thinking as mere thought. Some theological doctrine (e.g., justification, substitutionary atonement, or the resurrection) might catch my attention as a read, but I tend to just leave it in my mind think: I'll be reading a theological book or even reading the bible and it'll just be to gather information. So often, my end is to know things about God, as opposed to knowing him and loving him.

One way I have come to notice that my desire is off target in my reading is my total lack of prayer during my reading or studying. But Psalm 63:5-6 makes it clear that thoughts about God demand a prayerful response, when it says, "My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, WHEN i remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night." So let me ask you: When you read J.I. Packer, or John Owen, or John Stott, or study God's Word, do you pray through what you are reading and thinking? Are you inviting him into your reflections or just musing to yourself? Are you pleading with God to help you understand, asking him to help you savor him and be satisfied in him alone? In short, do you find that you prize your knowledge about God above your relationship with him?

We must remind ourselves that Christ is our treasure, and that his word is designed to draw us into treasuring him. Don't miss the treasure because of your fascination with the treasure chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment